Dry eye is a common condition affecting many, causing discomfort, irritation, and blurred vision. If you suspect you have dry eye, understanding its causes and treatment options may help you get the relief you are seeking. Visit us at Norfolk Family Eye Care in Waterford, ON, Simcoe, ON, and Port Dover, ON, for more information from an optometrist near you.
What Are the Symptoms of Dry Eye?
Dry eye presents with various symptoms, including:
● Stinging or burning sensation in the eyes
● Gritty or scratchy feeling
● Sensitivity to light or wind
● Blurred vision
● Excessive tearing, paradoxically
What Causes Dry Eye?
Several factors contribute to dry eye, including:
● Age: Tear production can decrease with age.
● Medical conditions: Autoimmune diseases and eye allergies can impact tear quality.
● Medications: Certain medications, like antihistamines and antidepressants, can dry the eyes.
● Environmental factors: Low humidity, smoke, wind, and prolonged screen time can worsen dryness.
● Contact lens wear: Contact lenses can disrupt the tear film and irritate the eyes.
How Is Dry Eye Diagnosed?
An optometrist or eye doctor near you can perform an eye exam to diagnose dry eye and determine what is causing it. Once we have a better understanding of what is causing your condition, we can provide an appropriate treatment plan.
How Is Dry Eye Treated?
Treatment options for dry eye vary depending on the severity and cause. One common treatment is artificial tears in the form of eye drops. However, one of the most straightford solutions is to remove the cause, if possible. If dry air is causing your eyes to dry out, it may be a good idea to invest in a humidifier. Additionally, if your medications are causing your symptoms, changing up your medications may help.
Get More Information from an Optometrist Near You about Our Eyeglasses, Contacts, Eye Care, and Med Spa
Don't let dry eyes disrupt your vision or comfort. Contact us at Norfolk Family Eye Care today for a comprehensive eye exam and discuss treatment options suited to your needs. We're your trusted partner in achieving your eye health goals. Call us at (519) 900-1393 Waterford, ON, (519) 426-0415 Simcoe, ON, and (519) 583-2020 Port Dover, ON, to learn more about our eye care services from an eye doctor near you, such as eyeglasses, contacts, and our med spa.