Glaucoma, a group of eye diseases, can damage the optic nerve and potentially lead to vision loss. It's a silent thief, often progressing without noticeable symptoms until vision is significantly impacted. Understanding this condition may be important for protecting your eyesight. The good news is we at Norfolk Family Eye Care in Waterford, ON, Simcoe, ON, and Port Dover, ON, have an optometrist near you that is here to help. Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about glaucoma:
What Are the Risk Factors for Glaucoma?
Several factors increase your risk for glaucoma. Here are a few:
● Family history: Having a close family member with glaucoma significantly raises your risk.
● Age: The risk of glaucoma increases as you age, especially after 60.
● Medical conditions: Certain medical conditions, like high blood pressure, can contribute to glaucoma.
● Ethnicity: Certain ethnicities are at higher risk.
Does Early Detection Matter?
Early detection is crucial in managing glaucoma. The most common form of the disease itself often has no noticeable symptoms in its early stages. Regular eye exams with an optometrist near you can help detect glaucoma before significant vision loss occurs.
What Are the Different Types of Glaucoma?
The two main types of glaucoma are:
● Open-angle glaucoma: The most common form, with fluid buildup in the eye slowly increasing pressure and damaging the optic nerve.
● Angle-closure glaucoma: A less common but more urgent form, where the drainage pathway for fluid becomes blocked, causing a rapid rise in eye pressure and potential vision loss if not treated quickly.
How Is Glaucoma Treated?
Treatment options for glaucoma vary depending on the type and severity of the disease. They may include eye drops or surgery. We can provide eye drops at our office to help slow down the progression of the disease and may refer you out to an eye surgeon if we believe it is necessary.
Can I Wear Eyeglasses or Contacts if I Have Glaucoma?
Yes, eyeglasses and contact lenses are excellent tools for correcting vision issues and there is no need to stop using them if you have glaucoma. An eye doctor near you can work with you to find the best option for your needs.
Learn More from an Eye Doctor Near You about Eyeglasses, Contacts, Eye Care, and Our Med Spa
We at Norfolk Family Eye Care are committed to providing eye care services, including glaucoma diagnosis and management, to our patients.
Don't wait to prioritize your eye health. Schedule an eye exam with an optometrist near you at Norfolk Family Eye Care. Early detection and proper treatment can significantly improve your long-term vision health and prevent vision loss from glaucoma. Take control of your well-being and contact us today at (519) 900-1393 Waterford, ON, (519) 426-0415 Simcoe, ON, and (519) 583-2020 Port Dover, ON. Call us to learn more about our services, including our med spa.